6/11/2008

Wikigroaning

Wikipedia has a great deal of importance for some people. The thing is, when I mention "some people", I'm talking about a very specific demographic. This is not about lurkers like me, who, at most, edit some grammar mistakes and the like. I'm talking about those guys who really undertake the massive task of writing its articles. And logically, those guys, who have the time and willingness to write extensive pieces of information for free, would like to handle stuff they're interested in, don't you think? That's the spirit behind Wikigroaning. Let me tell you now: I'm not the creator of it, far from it (Johnny "DocEvil" Titanium from SomethingAwful in this article ).

Now, what is Wikigroaning?
It is comparing two articles of similar name and/or content, one of which is about something that should be useful for any person, and another that only matters to a group of fans. To general surprise, the fan-oriented article (about pop culture, TV sereis, cartoons and the like) is always longer than the "serious" one. Check some examples out:

Modern Warfare
Lightsaber Combat

Friendship
Friends

Outer space
Star Wars

Bat
Batman

Dwarfism
Dwarf (Middle Earth)

Trail of Tears
Tears for Fears

Ocean
Aquaman

St. Francis Xavier
Professor X

Dough
D'oh

John Locke
John Locke (Lost)

Real life
Second Life

Raphael (archangel)
Raphael (ninja turtle)

Reality
The Matrix

Dating
Internet dating

Henry VIII (play)
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back

Japanese mythology
Japanese toilet

Nirvana
Nirvana (band)

Aristotle
Oprah Winfrey

List of animal names
List of Pokemon

Latin
Klingon language

List of people who have disappeared
Characters of Lost

Family (biology)
Family Guy

Wall Street crash of 1929
Video game crash of 1983

Category:American philosphers
List of big-bust models and performers

Amazing how people give importance to the weirdest things...

2 comments:

Saucer said...

Cool!!!

We should start our Wiki...SMITH. What do you think of it?
Although taking part in a collective writting is interesting, I don't really feel comfortable to know that a person can erase and change everything I had written...it's a new culture of writing production...I have to get used to it...

Smith []s
Saucer

monica said...

Hi Daniel and everybody,

Cool, cool, cool!

Cheers,
Mônica